We educated Aussie parents to Know Meningococcal.
Challenge: IMPROVE PARENTAL AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE LIFE-THREATENING MENINGOCOCCAL DISEASE
Meningococcal disease is a rare but potentially devastating infection that can progress from ‘flu-like’ symptoms to death or serious disability in just hours. With case numbers on the rise despite the existence of a vaccine, GSK tasked our team with developing a national awareness and education campaign aimed at the parents of young children.
Solution: ENGAGE AND EMPOWER AUSSIE MUMS
We needed to move Aussie parents from a position of relatively low education regarding the details of the disease to one in which they could confidently identify the multiple strains and symptoms and make informed decisions about prevention options. Together with our agency partners, we designed a campaign that would connect, educate and empower parents: Know Meningococcal.
Recognising that women are the gatekeepers to their family’s health, we made Aussie mothers the core focus of our campaign with a strategy that targeted their most trusted channels across owned, earned and paid and tapped into the resources mums naturally turn to for parenting advice and education.
We enlisted the help of health professionals, an influential celebrity mum, influential mummy bloggers, respected parenting media, everyday mums and those with personal experience of the disease to help tell the story.
Through the use of highly emotive and compelling, yet informative content and the creative sentiment ‘I now know,’ we empowered millions of Aussie parents to make an informed decision about their children’s health.
Impact: We changed behaviour by changing the narrative
Post-campaign research found that parents who recalled our campaign were:
- Significantly more aware there are several strains of meningococcal disease (75% vs. 53%)
- 3x more likely to have asked a doctor or nurse about meningococcal disease
- 3x more likely to have searched for meningococcal disease information online
Our campaign efforts generated:
- 185 pieces of editorial and over 81+ million opportunities to see
- A paid media and blog partnership reach of 1.18 million
- 1.4M reach for Facebook and >375,000 video views
- 108,000 click-throughs to the campaign website and an average engagement rate of 8.4%
- 71M reached via paid advertising
Prime Awards 2018 - Best PR Campaign